Life & Disability
Basic Life and AD&D Insurance (paid by UAGC) Direct Link
Life insurance protects your family or other beneficiary(s) in the event of your death while you are still actively employed at UAGC. You will automatically be covered under the Basic Life Insurance plan. If your death is due to an accident, your beneficiary will receive an additional amount through Accidental Death and Dismemberment (AD&D) coverage. Employees may choose to purchase additional voluntary coverage.
What is the Basic Life Benefit?
- Life insurance coverage is a flat amount of $50,000 ($100,000 for manager and above)
What is the AD&D Benefit?
- AD&D coverage is a flat amount of $50,000 ($100,000 for manager and above)
- AD&D benefits are payable if you pass away, lose a limb, or have a loss of speech, hearing, or eyesight because of a covered accident (either on or off the job) and the loss occurs within one year of the covered accident.
The payable amount of your AD&D benefit depends on the type of loss. In the event of death due to an accident, your beneficiary(s) may receive both your life and AD&D benefits.
Voluntary Life Insurance (paid by you) Direct Link
It is important to have enough life insurance protection for your family. If you determine you need more than the Basic Life coverage, you may want to add coverage for yourself and your eligible dependents.
To learn more about how Voluntary Life insurance works, watch this video from Cigna.
Voluntary Life Coverage Options
Coverage is available in $10,000 increments. Benefit amount is a minimum of $10,000 up to $500,000.
Guaranteed Issue (only available if enrolling when initially eligible): $150,000.
Coverage reduces to 65% at age 65 and 50% at age 70
Coverage is available in $5,000 increments. Benefit amount is a minimum of $5,000 up to $250,000 (not to exceed 50 percent of your additional life coverage).
Guaranteed Issue (only available if enrolling when initially eligible): $30,000.
Coverage ends at age 70
Under age 26 – $15,000
Guaranteed Issue: $15,000
Cost of Voluntary Life Insurance
Deductions for Voluntary Life/AD&D are taken from your paycheck after taxes. Rates are available online during enrollment.
Evidence of Insurability
Guaranteed Issue amounts only apply for newly eligible employees. If you are electing Additional Life Insurance outside of when it was first offered to you, or in amounts over the guaranteed issue, you will be required to submit an Evidence of Insurability Form for approval by the insurance company before coverage can become effective.
Designate a Beneficiary!
Don’t forget to designate a beneficiary(s) for your life and AD&D benefits. Designate a beneficiary in the Workday.
Disability Direct Link
UAGC offers both short-term disability (STD) and long-term disability (LTD) coverage through Cigna.
Short-Term Disability Direct Link
Short-Term Disability (STD) insurance pays you a portion of your income if you become unable to perform your regular job duties for 7 days due to illness or injury.
- You’ll get 60% of your monthly pre-disability base salary, up to $1,200 per week for up to 12 weeks.
- In states with mandated wage-replacement (California, New York, New Jersey, Rhode Island and Hawaii), benefit coordination rules apply.
Long-Term Disability Direct Link
Long-Term Disability (LTD) insurance pays you a portion of your income if you become unable to perform your regular job duties for 90 days due to illness or injury. LTD works with Social Security and any other group disability coverage to provide you with a combined monthly benefit.
- You’ll get 60% of your monthly pre-disability base salary, up to $15,000 per month.
- Your benefits may continue until you reach normal retirement age as long as you meet the definition of disability.
Taxation of Disability Coverage Direct Link
Because the STD and Core LTD premiums are paid by UAGC for all full-time employees, any disability payments made to you will be taxable.
STD and LTD benefits are reduced by any other disability benefits you are eligible to receive. Refer to the plan policy for full limitations.